Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Experiment...

So, I've spent all evening pondering this, and I do believe I'm going to give it a shot. Somewhat of an experiment you might say. Here's the deal. I need to expand my cooking horizons. I cook the same things over, and over, and over. And, even though I love baking, I never do it. This lead me to dream up this experiment. 100 recipes in 100 days. Yup, that's right. I want to cook 100 things I've never cooked before in 100 days. It can be anything....anything at all. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or none of the above! Here are the rules I'm setting out for myself.

* While doing this experiment, I CAN NOT repeat any of the 100 recipes I choose.
* It does not have to be 100 consecutive days. However, I must have a darn good excuse for NOT making a recipe on any given day (i.e. sickness, not being home, holidays, etc.)
* I must blog about every recipe ON THE DAY I make it!
* Recipes must be made in order. I will have a list of all 100 recipes and follow that list.

So, there we have it. I welcome any and all comments on rules I should make...and of course, RECIPES! I will begin my hunt tomorrow...and start a list of the recipes I cook. I'll let you know when I start!

2 comments:

Irene said...

I'll give you a few my family likes...hope you like them too.

Salmon Patties
1 can Salmon
2 eggs
crackers
pepper
mix altogether
spray pan, form into patties, cook on low until completely done in center

Salmon Filets
Buy the frozen salmon then this is how we prepare then bake...
Cover pan w/ butter - cookie sheet works just fine
Place filets on pan
Cap full of lemon juice on each filet
Sprinkle ginger on the filets
Honey on each filet
Parsley sprinkled on each
Bake for about 12-15 min at 375 degrees

Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Serve 4
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes (I use cayene pepper)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes (I use fresh tomatoes and dice them)
1 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
(I don't do the fresh spices just buy the container of dried and shake what I need to flavor)
Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes. Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and saute for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside. Add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors melt together...(I go a bit longer). Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste, and serve.

RO-HO Chicken
1 (3 lb.)chicken baked (I use 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast)
1 diced onion (can go less to taste)
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese (can just do the shredded cheese bags)
1/2 pkg taco flavored Doritos (can sub your fam fav doritos Cool Ranch/Spicy Jalapeno etc...I use a full pkg)
1/2 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (I use full can) or 1 can green chilies and tomatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup (can sub cream of celery)
1 can cream of chicken soup
Bake chicken at 400 for 1 hr. Take off bone and cut in bite-size pieces and put in a 9 x 13 inch casserole pan (I use same one I cooked chicken in...1/2 way through baking chicken flip them...also make sure you cover them with water to bake...more moist meat after) Dice onion and sprinkle over chicken. Grate 1/2 pound Velveeta; put on top. Add 1/2 pkg of crushed doritos, sprinkled over top. Blend Ro-Tel tomatoes with mushroom and chicken soups; pour to cover chicken mixture. Sprinkle on rest of the crushed Doritos. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until bubbling...also once Doritos start to brown on top it's done. Serve like that...can also add ranch when serving...this adds just a little zing.


Hope these will help to get you started! Good luck and if you want more just let me know... :-)

Irene (Mong) Walker

SillyHille said...

Awesome! Good luck- I will surely be following. I added a butter cake recipe to my blog- I highly recommend it!!
:)