Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just Call Me Susie

Okay, I'm not good with clever titles. Someone needs to give a creative blog titling class...and I need to take it. Anyway, I digress...

Since I'm no longer working outside the home, I have a little (very little!) time on my hands, so I've decided to use more creative ways to do things. The first thing I decided to do was to make a "Moby" wrap. I have wanted one for a couple months, but couldn't bring myself to drop $40 on a piece of fabric that I didn't know if I would even like. So, I made one. Actually, I made 2. I bought 6 yards of fabric at Wal-Mart and cut it in half. Alexis and I LOVE it. I keep one in the house and one in my car. My back is also thanking me...those car seats are HEAVY, and I don't lug it around any more! Here's a picture of Alexis and I enjoying the wrap...she's snoozing away happily and on this particular day I was doing laundry while she snoozed!

Speaking of laundry, another thing my new frugal self decided to do was make laundry soap. It's inexpensive, and it didn't sound like it was too difficult, so I decided to try it. It only takes 3 ingredients:

1 cup of Borax

1 cup of washing soda

2 cups of Fels Naptha

You have to grate the Fels Naptha, and I did it using the small side of a hand grater. This is what it looked like.

Then, I simply dumped all of the ingredients into a container (I used an old butter container...see, creative ideas...one less butter container in the landfill and one less container I have to buy!) and stirred.

I use approximately 2 tbsp. per load. I figured up how much money I'd be saving by doing this, and by my calculations, I'm saving $0.25 every load of laundry I do...which is about $182 per year. Not a lot, but with as little time as it took, it's worth it to me. I've also read that you can use different kinds of soaps, such as Ivory. I love the smell of Ivory, so when the Fels Naptha is gone, I may try that. Next on my list....baby food!

0 comments: