Friday, June 25, 2010

And the Good News Is...

...completely gone. After obtaining some of AJ's records today, and reading the addendum to her CT report, we learned that her metopic suture is NOT open. In fact, it is completely closed. I saw it very clearly on the images also. For the life of me, I can not fathom why a radiologist would have missed it the first time. It is also very clear on the images that her skull is slightly deformed, especially on the forehead. You can also see that her eye sockets are not symmetrical like they should be. It just blows my mind that it is so obvious to me, yet the radiologist first said "no intracranial abnormalities". Needless to say, we're upset. She has two sutures that are fused, which means that we may be facing two surgeries instead of one. I really hope this is the last bit of bad news we find out for awhile.

Kendra has also caught on that something is wrong. I've tried very hard to not let on that anything is going on in front of her, and not show how scared I am, but this evening my mom came over, and we were looking at her CT films. At first she was fascinated that she got to see pictures of the inside of her sister's head, but then she started questioning why she had to have the pictures to begin with, and wanted to know if the pictures were bad. We explained to Kendra that Alexis might have to have surgery and stay in the hospital for awhile. Kendra immediately started crying. She's going to miss her baby sister, she says, and she doesn't want her to be in the hospital. We're trying to act like it's not a huge deal in front of her, while at the same time not minimizing the situation. We want her to know the truth, but not be too scared. It's a tough thing to do.

Please keep sending your prayers and positive thoughts our way as we struggle through this ordeal. We're on the roller coaster ride of a lifetime, and I've never liked roller coasters.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi, found your blog via Capps Facebook page. I'm so sorry for you guys, it's such a scary place to be. I'm a cranio mum too so I can imagine how you're feeling. Wishing you strength for the journey ahead, I'm with you on the not liking roller coasters!

Unknown said...

Hang in there, Janae. Keep us posted! I can say that my parents were very honest with us when Mom had cancer, and I am still thankful for their straightforwardness today... I'm sure it's so tough. We're praying for you all.