Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The News

We got the news today. The good news...AJ's metopic suture is open. The bad news...AJ's left coronal suture is fused.

It has been an emotional day. We've been on a roller coaster ride since Thursday. We have few answers, and literally hundreds of questions. Our next step is to meet with a pediatric neurologist. Until then, all we have are our questions, and the very dangerous Dr. Google.

I'm not happy. I've lost faith in the quality of health care available to us in our area. Perhaps it's just my bitterness and pessimism rearing it's ugly head, but I can't help it. I'm emotional. I'm scared. I'm nervous. I don't know what to do.

For now, this is all the information we have.

"The coronal sutures begin at the ear and continue superiorly to the top of the skull to meet the sagittal suture. One or both sutures may be involved. When one suture is fused, the forehead on that side is flattened and swept back with the eye in its socket. When both sides are fused (Bi-Coronal), the head is short and wide with bulging of the eyes and bulging of the skull around the ears." (Source: www.cappskids.org)

We're looking for answers and support. We're searching for strength and courage. We're trying to ignore worry and dread. We know what CAN happen. We know what complications MAY face us. We know what treatment options we MIGHT be given.



For now, all we can do is love each other, our sweet baby girl, and hope for the best...and pray.

0 comments: