Thursday, June 24, 2010

Nix the Good News

I really thought my next post would be the cute, fun one that I mentioned yesterday. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The pediatrician's office called again today. This is kind of how the conversation went:

Nurse: Is this AJ's mom?

Me: Yes.

Nurse: Hi, this is *nurse* from *doctor's* office. What pharmacy do you use?

Me: Uhm...why?

Nurse: The doctor looked over AJ's lab report from Tuesday, and it turns out her iron is low. We need to start her on an iron supplement right away.

Me: Are you serious?

Nurse: Yes, I'm sorry. We feel with everything that's going on, her iron level needs to be higher.

Me: What was it?

Nurse: 10.5

Me: Why would her iron be low?

Nurse: It just depends, sometimes it can be caused by the child drinking too little or too much milk.

I won't type out the rest of the conversation, mostly because I was a little upset and probably wasn't as nice as I should have been to the nurse...but really, who calls a mother, after she's been given bad news, and tells them their child's blood work is all normal, then calls the next day and says it isn't? How does this happen? I've seen enough lab reports in my life to know that abnormal values are easy to spot, even if you don't read the numbers. They're bold. They're marked with either an H or an L to indicate if they are high or low. How did they not see this yesterday???

As I said previously, I've started to lose faith in the healthcare that we have available to us. I know that we're all human, even doctors, but in the last week, they've made WAY too many mistakes with us, and at least one of these could have been detrimental to the health of my child. I hope the doctor in Kansas City is a little bit more detail oriented!

1 comments:

SillyHille said...

I hope for your sake that they are detail oriented too- but I have to "warn" you that the bigger the office, the easier it is for things to go 'overlooked'. I work in a "big healthcare facility" and it just means more people handling the charts.
From personal (and professional experience) ask for copies of EVERYTHING. Labs, CT reports, EVERY thing. they are yours- don't take no for an answer. You are AJ's mama and of course her best advocate right now. Don't let people make you feel bad for speaking up in her best interest.
Just know I'm still thinking of you and saying prayers