Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ham and Beans

Ingredients

1 pound dry great Northern beans
1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley

Directions

  1. Rinse beans in a large pot; discard shriveled beans and any small stones. Add 8 cups of cold water. Let stand overnight or at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse beans.
  2. Return beans to pot and add ham, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne and parsley and water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender. Add more water if necessary during cooking time.

I have never (before today) made ham and beans. Growing up, it wasn't one of my favorite things...and now I don't know WHY! I actually used the ham hock from our Christmas ham to make this. I boiled it for about 3 hours, then de-boned and de-fatted (is that even a word?) the ham. I was busy painting, so I didn't make homemade cornbread, but used the Jiffy mix instead (which, in my opinion, is the best cornbread mix EVER). This meal was absolutely delicious...by far the best ham and beans I've ever had...and really, I'm not just saying that because I made it. While the actual process of making ham and beans is long, there really isn't that much work that goes into it...it's mostly just the cook time! (I started cooking my ham at 11:00)

1 comments:

SillyHille said...

Did you know you can buy great northern beans in a jar by the chili beans? That way you don't have to soak and wait all night. I use the canned great northern beans for white chili all the time.