Thursday, January 7, 2010

Scalloped Corn and Broccoli

Ingredients

1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1 cup fresh chopped broccoli

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Mix together the corn, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Add the cheese and broccoli, mix well and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish.
  3. Bake for 1 hour.

I'm always trying to find ways to get Kendra to eat vegetables that don't come out of a can. I REALLY thought that this would be a good one...sugar, cheese...what kid wouldn't like it? Well, mine wouldn't. It was seriously sweet, tasted like a desert almost. I thought it was good...the 4-year-old, however, did not. I made a huge mistake, though. I let her help me make it. She knew what was in it. She stirred the broccoli in, and immediately stated that she didn't like it. Once she gets it in her head that she doesn't like something, game over. I do think OTHER kids who don't have preconceived notions about what they like and don't like would gobble it up.
BONUS! I have to share the other dish I made tonight. It's not a new recipe, but it's so yummy that I have to share it!

Easy Pleasy Meatballs Over Buttered Noddles

Ingredients

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of celery soup
2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed French onion soup
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
6 pounds frozen Italian-style meatballs
2 (16 ounce) packages uncooked egg noodles
1/2 cup butter

Directions

  1. In a large slow cooker, mix together the cream of celery soup, French onion soup, and sour cream. Stir in the meatballs. Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours.
  2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with butter. Serve meatballs and sauce over the cooked pasta.
I ALWAYS halve this recipe. It makes a TON! I have also put this over low heat for 8 hours, and it works just fine, which allows you to put it in the crock in the morning and have a nearly done meal when you get home! Bon apetite!

2 comments:

Kari said...

I am trying your meatballs for tonight! So far, so easy!

Kari said...

WOW! Those meatballs were fantastic! Thanks for the recipe! Jake said they were "Restraunt quality!"